Annie Block | September 01, 2011 |0 Comments
Kiehl's Since 1851 was founded on the very same East Village corner where the flagship stands today. The subsequent 160 years have seen Kiehl's stores open around the world, selling high-quality products for skin and hair. But there had never been a spa that harnessed those products for men's and women's facial and body treatments. So president Chris Salgardo enlisted Allen + Killcoyne Architects to work with an in-house design team on Spa 1851. Though it may physically be on the Upper East Side, the 950-square-foot space feels decidedly downtown. Flooring is wide-plank oak reclaimed from demolished warehouses, and tin ceiling tiles are vintage, as is reception's chandelier. Edgy artwork, everywhere including the three treatment rooms, is by the likes of David LaChapelle.