You will be redirected to your destination in 15 seconds.
Green Consulting: A Guide
A client recently asked me how to begin incorporating sustainability into its corporate culture. My response, of course, was in the form of a proposal from Ecoimpact, a green business consulting company I helped form. But the question is asked of me often enough that I feel it is appropriate to share my response with you. And yes, if this seems a bit self-serving, it is. My apologies.
First I advise setting sustainability goals for the organization and/or project. Such as:
1. Define and establish a sustainability mission for the organization.
2. Identify strategies to identify the precepts of the triple bottom line--economy, ecology and social equity--as they apply to the organization.
3. Develop a communication plan for outreach and in-house education on sustainability initiatives.
4. Identify sustainable priorities and timetables for implementation.
5. Develop lists of design strategies and materials that may be applicable to the project.
6. Utilize the LEED-CI checklist to determine feasibility of certification.
7. Work with cost estimators to provide estimates of green strategies.
8. Determine LEED documentation cost estimates.
Guide your clients in rethinking their business to achieve their sustainability and economic goals. It helps if you can bring a collective knowledge of the sustainability framework and a proven track record. Engage, advise, and assist your clients to implement fresh ideas and sophisticated approaches. Assist your clients in accurately communicating their sustainability mission to all stakeholders, both within the organization and to their customers.
Focus on the essential drivers of sustainability: knowledge and value. Offer a wide mix of consultative instruction to further your client's strategic goals, including LEED training workshops, advanced strategy trainings, green charettes and personal sustainability coaching.
Help your clients communicate the purpose and benefits of their sustainability mission and message by increasing visibility and incorporating sustainability into promotional materials.
Provide focused research to assist your clients stay abreast of economic and tax incentives, regulations and standards and learn to use the tools that measure and track progress.
If LEED is on the table, establish a rating goal, provide credit vs. cost feasibility analysis, be a catalyst for collaboration within the project team and foster an integrated design process, lead sustainable design charettes, oversee the incorporation of LEED criteria into the plans and specifications, and complete the certification documentation.
Make certain that your team of professionals will ensure that the project achieves peak energy performance, promotes human health and well-being for the occupants, and obtains the highest level of certification possible within the constraints of the project.
This is what Ecoimpact does. Call us if you need help.