You will be redirected to your destination in 15 seconds.
As carefully as I went over my plan as we were designing the house, as many times as I’ve visited the site, with both the plans and the model almost constantly in my vision at the office, the brilliant idea to change the guest wing didn’t come until last week. Strange how coming up with a great idea can make you feel so stupid, not to mention cost you so much money. I don’t know why I didn’t see it before.
The only part of my house I’ve never been completely happy with is the north wing (I just love referring to parts of my house in such grand terms). The north wing, which could also be called guest quarters is composed of two mirror images, smallish guest rooms, two bathrooms, and a hall. Now a hall is nice, but rather a waste of space when space is an issue. Then it hit me, why not take part of the hall and turn it over to one of the bedrooms. So instead of two identical guest rooms, I have one a rather generous bedroom and one quaint convertible sitting room for guests. (I would love to include a plan, but I am out of town so I will include the old and revised drawing in next week’s blog). Not that I ever think in terms of re-sale, (I will probably be carried out of Brokeback Manor in a box or an ashtray), but the listing will read much better.
Of course a new problem arises with this change. Instead of a democratic guest system, I now have to think in terms of V.I.P. guests and secondary guests, it will become necessary to set up a standard as how to rate my weekend visitors. Here are some touchstones I am thinking of using:
1. amount of money invested and lost with Bernie Madoff
2. member of Interior Design Hall of Fame or any other hall of fame
3. number of memberships in restricted clubs
4. received change of address card from Sarah Palin
5. if in the interior design field, has published a book on their work
6. can supply proof of attendance in a reputable cooking school
7. are able to bring their own gardening tools
8. attended at least one celebrity funeral in the month of July
Any other suggestions are welcome…