2013 Rising Giants 101-200: Market Segment Report


Corporate work space and hospitality continue to dominate—62 percent of all design fees, with corporate rising 40 percent, and hospitality rising 32 percent. The biggest drop, 28 percent, came from the health-care/assisted-living sector. Government work is still a rainmaker, with 54 percent of the Rising Giants snagging taxpayer-funded projects; growth areas are office, up 15 percent, and libraries, with double the number of firms working on them.

Half the firms do educational facilities, though twice as many work on universities versus K-12 buildings. Another growth area: for-profit schools. Two years ago, 23 percent of firms did them; today, it’s 31 percent. As for residential, there has been a 10 percent increase in the number of firms doing that work, driven by mixed-use/condominium jobs.

And, across all markets, domestic projects accounted for 88 percent of work by Rising Giants, while renovations claimed 62 percent, leaving new construction accounting for 38 percent of projects.

% of Rising Giants Working in Top Market Segments

Residential&Education Government

Rising Giants Fees by Project Type

<Back to main article
2013 Rising Giants 101-200: Fees and Salaries
2013 Rising Giants 101-200: Growth
2013 Rising Giants 101-200: Issues and Trends

Continue Reading