Catch these events in October and November
Edited by Meghan Edwards -- Interior Design, 9/1/2007 12:00:00 AM
1. No true New Yorkers can deny it—they love to shop. Now devotees of the Guild's catalog and Web site can get their fill of artist-made furniture, home accessories, and jewelry in person. At the Guild's inaugural Artful Home Show, a shopping spree at the Puck Building, look out for finds such as Mitch Levin's Pop Art mirror constructed from hand-cut recycled aluminum soda cans. November 16-18; 877-223-4600; artfulhomeshow.com.
2. Don't think of New York's School of Visual Arts as bookish—even though "The Masters Series: Steven Heller" features a shelf positively groaning with volumes authored or coauthored by the famed designer, columnist, and academic. The show also includes over 100 of his covers for the New York Times Book Review, plus a life-size replica of a city newsstand containing copies of the periodicals he's contributed to. October 22–December 1; 212-592-2010; sva.edu.
3. "Xavier Veilhan: Metric" brings the Parisian artist's figurative sculptures and photographs to the Gering & López Gallery in New York. In preparation for making Sandra, a 3 ½-foot-tall aluminum figure that will be in the show, he created a resin model that's just under 8 inches high. November 15–January 12; 646-336-7183; geringlopez.com.
4. At 83 years old, this giant of British sculpture has been welding steel and bolting iron since the 1950's. Following up on his New York show early last year, Mitchell-Innes & Nash is presenting "Anthony Caro: New Galvanized Sculptures." Among the half dozen pieces on view is Kettle Drum, fashioned from painted steel and cast iron. October 18–November 2; 212-744-7400; miandn.com.
5. In case anyone in Long Island City, New York, is jonesing for German cinema, the P.S.1 Contemporary Art Center is presenting cult film hero Rainer Werner Fassbinder's epic Berlin Alexanderplatz, based on Alfred Döblin's 1929 novel. Differing from the original presentation in Berlin, each of 14 screening rooms will be devoted to one of the 15-hour film's sequences, which viewers can watch repeatedly or in any order they'd like, courtesy of tickets permitting multiple visits. October 21–January 7; 718-784-2084; ps1.org.
"Peter Halley–Matali Crasset: A Rebours"
Through October 13
Galerie Thaddaeus Ropac, Paris; 33-1-42-72-99-00; ropac.net.
"Spiral City/Ciudad Espiral"
Through December 30
Laboratory of Art and Ideas at Belmar, Lakewood, Colorado; 303-934-1777; belmarlab.org.
"Peter Zumthor: Works 1986-2007"
Through January 20
Kunsthaus Bregenz, Austria; 43-5574-48594-0; kunsthaus-bregenz.at.
BolognaFiere, Italy; 39-0536-804585; cersaie.it.
International Art + Design Fair
Park Avenue Armory, New York; 212-642-8572; haughton.com.
Multiple venues, New York; 212-991-6470; ohny.org.
"Hernán Díaz Alonsos: Pitch-Black"
October 10–March 2
Österreichisches Museum für Angewandte Kunst/Gegenwartskunst, Vienna; 43-1-711-36-0; mak.at.
Baltimore Convention Center; 800-677-6278; mmart.com.
"Contemporary, Cool and Collected"
October 20–December 30
Mint Museum of Art, Charlotte, North Carolina; 704-337-2000; themintmuseums.org.
"Future City 20/21: New York Modern"
October 24–March 1
Skyscraper Museum, New York; 212-945-6324; skyscraper.org.
"Antony Gormley: BlindLight"
October 26–December 6
Sean Kelly Gallery, New York; 212-239-1181; skny.com.
October 29–February 11
Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles; 213-621-1749; moca.org.
Multiple venues, New York; 212-366-5700; performa-arts.org.
"Jeremy Blake: Glitterbest"
November 3–December 22
Kinz, Tillou + Feigen, New York; 212-929-0500; ktfgallery.com.
Greenbuild International Conference & Expo
McCormick Place, Chicago;202-742-3818; greenbuildexpo.org.
Los Angeles Asian & Tribal Arts Show
Santa Monica Civic Auditorium; 310-455-2888; caskeylees.com.
International Hotel/Motel Restaurant Show
Jacob K. Javitz Convention Center, New York; 914-421-3200; glmshows.com.
Seaport World Trade Center, Boston; 800-544-1898; buildboston.com.
"Out of the Ordinary: Spectacular Craft"
November 13–February 17
Victoria and Albert Museum, London; 44-20-7942-2000; vam.ac.uk.
Modernism: A Century of Style & Design
Park Avenue Armory, New York; 212-777-5218; sanfordsmith.com.
"Eero Saarinen: Shaping the Future"
November 17–March 30
Cranbrook Art Museum, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan; 877-462-7262; cranbrookart.edu.
"Julie Mehretu: City Sitings"
November 23–March 30
Detroit Institute of Arts; 313-833-7900; dia.org.
Emirates Palace Hotel, Abu Dhabi; 33-1-56-26-52-29; artparis-abudhabi.com.
Interior Design Hall of Fame
Waldorf-Astoria, New York; 646-746-7252; interiordesign.net.