Catch these events in July and August
Edited by Meghan Edwards -- Interior Design, 6/1/2007 12:00:00 AM
1. The annual group show at Chicago's Zg Gallery, "Zg Summer" includes University of Pennsylvania professor Jackie Tileston's richly evocative Disembodied (Under Different Skies), a mixed-media work. "I think of my paintings. . .as a hetero-topia in which contraries are put to work, knitting the world together in a kind of visual globalism," the artist has written. July 13–September 1; 312-654-9900; zggallery.com.
2. "A Lingering Presence: Contemporary Photographs of Auschwitz" marks the 60th anniversary of the Auschwitz-Birkenau State Museum in Poland. Simon Watson photographed sites previously closed to the public, such as the desolate dissecting room shown in the C Print Auschwitz I, Block 10, Room 9. July 2–August 2; 48-33-844-80-03; auschwitz.org.pl.
3. Spanning an entire career, "Lessons From Bernard Rudofsky" gathers 200 of the architect and critic's original designs at Montreal's Centre Canadien d'Architecture. Of the six sections that compose the show, the Unfashionable Human Body features this 1949 cotton textile, Wheels. July 4–September 30; 514-939-7001; cca.qc.ca.
4. The red-hot phenomenon of contemporary Asian art is heating up a series of exhibitions at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston. The first, "Red Hot: Asian Art Today From the Chaney Family Collection," presents works from Tokyo; Beijing and Shanghai; Seoul, South Korea; and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Your Dog, a sculpture in fiberglass, is by Yoshitomo Nara. July 22–October 21; 713-639-7300; mfah.org.
5. Dovima With Elephants, Evening Dress by Dior, Cirque d'Hiver, 1955, taken in Paris, is one of the most famous images by one of the most famous fashion photographers. It's now appearing in "Richard Avedon: Photographs, 1946-2004," which brings the faces of statesmen, artists, and actors to the Louisiana Museum of Modern Art in Humlebæk, Denmark. August 24–January 13; 45-49-19-07-19; louisiana.dk.
Through August 17
Through September 23
Museum Fridericianum Veranstaltungs, Kassel, Germany; 49-561-70-72-70; documenta.de.
Skulptur Projekte Münster 07
Through September 30
Multiple venues, Germany; 49-251-492-2726; skulptur-projekte.de.
Through November 21
Multiple venues; 39-041-521-8711; labiennale.org.
"Bryan Ida: Seed"
July 7-August 18
Bandini Art, Los Angeles; 310-837-6230; bandiniart.com.
"Savage Luxury: Modernist Design in Melbourne"
July 14–November 4
Heide Museum of Modern Art, Melbourne, Australia; 61-3-9850-1500; heide.com.au.
Ronald Reagan Building and International Trade Center, Washington, D.C.; 202-667-1798; aiadesigndc.org.
"Cerca Series: Peter Simensky"
July 21–September 23
Museum of Contemporary Art, San Diego; 858-454-3541; mcasd.org.
Campana Brothers in the Garden
July 21–October 14
Victoria and Albert Museum, London; 44-20-7942-2000; vam.ac.uk.
July 27–October 21
Fruitmarket Gallery, Edinburgh; 44-131-225-2383; fruitmarket.co.uk.
East Hampton Studios, Wainscott, New York; 212-268-1522; scope-art.com.
"Wes Disney: A Retrospective"
July 27–September 8
Firehouse Gallery, Burlington, Vermont; 802-865-7165; burlingtoncityarts.com.
"Edward Weston: Enduring Vision"
July 31–November 25
J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles; 310-440-7300; getty.edu.
"Textiles of Klimt's Vienna"
August 3–January 6
Textile Museum, Washington, D.C.; 202-667-0441; textilemuseum.org.
Sydney Design 07
Powerhouse Museum, Australia; 61-2-9217-0111; powerhousemuseum.com.
"A Disco Ball in the Woods"
August 4–September 4
Thomas Robertello Gallery, Chicago; 312-421-1587; thomasrobertello.com.
Ernden Fine Art Gallery, Provincetown, Massachusetts; 508-487-6700; ernden.com.
August 10–December 2
Museum für Gestaltung, Zurich; 41-43-446-6767; museum-gestaltung.ch.
"Looking Forward/Looking Back: Recent Acquisitions in 20th- and 21st-Century Design"
August 17–October 14
Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, New York; 212-849-8300; cooperhewitt.org.
August 18–October 21
Multiple venues, Mechelen, Belgium; 32-15-33-08-01; contour2007.be.
"The Other Collection: Homage to Hildy and Ernst Beyeler"
August 19–January 6
Fondation Beyeler, Basel, Switzerland; 41-61-645-9700; beyeler.com.
Los Angeles Convention Center; 312-527-4141; merchanisemart.com/neoconxpress.
"States of Mind: Dan and Lia Perjovschi"
August 23–January 6
Nasher Museum of Art, Durham, North Carolina; 919-684-5135; nasher.duke.edu.
"Infinite Island: Contemporary Caribbean Art"
August 31–January 27
Brooklyn Museum, New York; 718-638-5000; brooklynmuseum.org.