Staff -- Interior Design, 4/1/2008 12:00:00 AM
Bidding for Attention
Devotees of the Rago Arts and Auction Center in New Jersey headed to Steven Sclaroff's New York furniture gallery to toast the designers responsible for "Modern Masters," an exhibit of vignettes incorporating items from the 20th-century sale at the Sollo Rago Modern Auctions annex. Besides Sclaroff, the participants were Alexander Gorlin, Amy Lau, Interior Design Hall of Fame member Juan Montoya, Matthew Patrick Smyth, and Alison Spear with Marian McEvoy.
1. Fin Juhl and Niels Vodder's Chieftain chair in teak and leather, on the block at Sollo Rago Modern Auctions. 2. Designer Amy Lau with Rago Arts and Auction Center partner John Sollo. 3. Suzanne Perrault and David Rago, partners of the Rago Arts and Auction Center. 4. The host, designer and gallery owner Steven Sclaroff. 5. Architect Alexander Gorlin's vignette at Sollo Rago. 6. The nearby vignette by designer Alison Spear and her new business partner, longtime editor Marian McEvoy. 7. Sajedesign creative director Jane Wagman and Nanz Custom Hardware owner Carl Sorenson. 8. Interior Design Hall of Fame member Melvin Dwork.
Color My World
Benjamin Moore & Co.'s annual Hue Awards recognize exceptional use of color in architecture and design. At this year's gala in New York, the architecture firm Legorreta + Legorreta claimed the honors for lifetime achievement, while the New Orleans recovery project Make It Right received the award for social responsibility—which came with $10,000 and enough paint to spruce up 150 houses in the storm-damaged Lower Ninth Ward.
9. Hall of Famer Jamie Drake conferring the award for residential exteriors on architect Donald Lococo.
10. Ricardo Legorretta, the honoree for lifetime achievement, flanked by Arturo Sarukhan, Mexican Ambassador to the U.S., and Rubén Beltrán, Consul General of Mexico.
11. Commercial artist Robert Du Grenier, creator of the handblown glass award, architect David Ling, and Robert Du Grenier Associates sales and marketing chief Kathy Du Grenier.
12. Former Interior Design editor in chief Stanley Abercrombie congratulating Studios Architecture managing principal Christopher Mitchell on his award for contract interiors.
13. Benjamin Moore & Co. president and CEO Denis Abrams handing the social-responsibility award to Make It Right executive director Tom Darden III.
14. Hall of Famers Lella and Massimo Vignelli.
15. Danielle Bokor of Bokor Consulting hoisting her award for residential interiors.