Catch these events in September and October
Edited by Meghan Edwards -- Interior Design, 8/1/2007 12:00:00 AM
1. Need more beach time? The construction of a miniature city, made entirely of sand, is documented in "Pain Is Universal But So Is Hope," an exhibition of Liset Castillo's photographs at the Black & White Gallery, New York. Her fictitious city is filled with recognizable buildings and monuments, such as the Roman ruin in Amphitheater (The Higher the Brighter). September 7–October 13; 212-244-3007; blackandwhiteartgallery.com.
2. Curators at Seattle's Greg Kucera Gallery are seeing double with "Drew Daly: Sculpture and Photographs." The artist often begins by disassembling a piece of furniture—then he uses the fragments to construct two modified versions of the original. He turned one maple-veneered bureau into two for Compression. October 4–November 10; 206-624-0770; gregkucera.com.
3. The annual Toronto International Art Fair has moved from its previous location in the Metro Toronto Convention Centre. This year's 110,000 square-foot venue, in the center's North Building, can accom modate 123 participants. Among them is Montreal's Galerie Lilian Rodriguez, showing Crista, a C-print by Monica van Asperen. October 25-29; 604-925-0330; tiafair.com.
4. Pieces in "Robert Irwin: Primaries and Secondaries" complement the galleries he helped design at the Museum of Contemporary Art San Diego. Comprising six rectangles of aeronautic-grade honeycomb aluminum, Who's Afraid of Red, Yellow, and Blue? is a larger version of the installation that appeared last year at New York's Pace Wildenstein. October 21–April 13; 858-454-3541; mcasd.org.
5. The visionary who made it big in London with his gigantic artificial sun for the Tate Modern's turbine hall is having his first major retrospective in the U.S., "Take Your Time: Olafur Eliasson" at the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art. Peer at the shifting prisms of Sunset Kaleidoscope, with its yellow disk rotating in the center of a mirror-lined, open-ended box. September 8–February 24; 415-357-4000; sfmoma.org.
Mark Moore Gallery, Los Angeles; 310-453-3031; markmooregallery.com.
Maison & Objet
Parc des Expos, Paris-Nord Villepinte; 212-957-0932; maison-objet.com.
Decosit & DecoContract
Brussels Expo; 32-92-43-84-50; decosit.com.
Udine Fiere, Italy; 39-0432-745611; promosedia.it.
"Daniel Rozin: New Work"
September 8–October 6
Bitforms Gallery, New York; 212-366-6939; bitforms.com.
"Richard Misrach: On the Beach"
September 15–November 25
Art Institute of Chicago; 312-443-3600; artic.edu.
Earls Court, London; 44-20-8910-7881; 100percentdesign.co.uk.
Abitare il Tempo
Fiera di Verona, Italy; 39-051-864310; abitareiltempo.com.
"Guillermo Kuitca: Stage Fright"
September 20–November 3
Arnold & Marie Schwartz Gallery Met, New York; 212-799-3100; metopera.org.
"Francis Alÿs, Fabiola"
September 20–April 6
Dia at the Hispanic Society of America, New York; 212-989-5566; diaart.org.
Royal Hospital Chelsea, London; 44-20-7833-3373; decorex.com.
"The Architect's Table: Swid Powell and Postmodern Design"
September 25–January 6
Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven; 203-432-0600; artgallery.yale.edu.
Exhibition Place, Toronto; 416-944-3350; iidexneocon.com.
High Point Market
Multiple venues, North Carolina; 336-821-1500; highpointmarket.org.
Healthcare Facilities Symposium & Expo
Navy Pier, Chicago; 203-371-6322; hcarefacilities.com.
BolognaFiere, Italy; 39-0536-804585; cersaie.it.
International Art + Design Fair
Park Avenue Armory, New York; 212-642-8572; haughton.com.
"Jean Tinguely: Everything Moves!"
October 10–January 27
Kunsthal Rotterdam, Netherlands; 31-10-440-03-00; kunsthal.nl.
"Hernán Díaz Alonso: Pitch-Black"
October 10–March 2
MAK Center for Art and Architecture, Los Angeles; 323-651-1510; mak.at.
Frieze Art Fair
Regent's Park, London; 44-20-7833-7270; friezeartfair.com.
October 11–January 20
Tate Modern, London; 44-20-7887-8888; tate.org.uk.
"Pop Art Portraits"
October 11–January 20
National Portrait Gallery, London; 44-20-7306-0055; npg.org.uk.
"Home and Garden: Domestic Spaces in Paintings From 1960 to the Present"
October 16–February 4
Geffrye Museum, London; 44-20-7739-9893; geffrye-museum.org.uk.
Baltimore Convention Center; 800-677-6278; mmart.com.
National Design Awards
Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum, New York; 212-849-8400; cooperhewitt.org.
Ernest N. Morial Convention Center, New Orleans; 713-623-4326; worldworkplace.org.